Thursday, October 28, 2010

split personality?

So today I was reading my all time favorite blog, Young House Love, when I came upon 4 different "What's my Style" quizzes that they linked too.  This immediately intrigued me because as I've been diving into this whole decorate-and-do-and-fit-and-make-it-yourself world (and by diving into I mean looking at pictures and projects and being insanely jealous of all the people who have the time, means, and houses to do such projects), I've been trying to figure out where I fall on the design spectrum.

Before all this new found design love, I assumed that I would of course gravitate toward traditional dark stained wood on strong pieces and good colors and patterns all over the place.  Now I'm finding myself loving the idea of a white room with white walls and white furniture and seriously decking that place out with some sweet pops of color and accessories.  I'm finding myself actually (gasp) liking the idea of painting furniture and even though that usually means an antiqued white or gray piece, I recently saw a picture of a dry-brushed, antiqued green dresser - and I liked it.  Since the idea of putting paint on a beautiful piece of furniture freaked me out, the idea of doing a two-toned part paint, part stain project was just plain crazy talk.  But then I saw this table, and I now have plans for Will's old coffee table...

Okay but back to the quizzes I took.  Clearly I don't care about what some quiz says, but I was a little disappointed when I got this result:


Well then.  If I had to pick a style at this very instant, I would totally go vintage modern.  But then again, a little mountain lodge sounds pretty nice and cozy too.  In case you're wondering, here's a description of each style:

Vintage Modern
Flea Market anyone? You know you are drawn to modern furniture and interiors, and yet you really don't like a space that feels cold and sterile. And who could blame you? And that's why Vintage Modern is so appealing to you. Though the backdrop of the room, the walls and windows, are many times white or monochromatic, the furniture and accessories have the color, shape and texture to bring the warmth into the space. The great thing about Vintage Modern is ease of mixing different styles in the one space. You can have a new modular sofa mixed with a great pair of chairs that your grandmother purchased in the late 1950's and the new and old work appear as though they were destined for each other. What's great is that even if you don't have time for swap meets and garage sales, so many of the pieces from the mid-century were so great that they have been remade and mimicked year after year.


Cottage Chic
Who says that cottages can't be modern and chic? Who says that they have to be floral and cheesy? Not you! You love the carefree spirit that the cottage interior inspires, but you are also serious about your appreciation for modern art and hip treasures. You love old and new alike, and love to highlight them all to expose the uniqueness of each. What better way to show off these treasures than with a light background?


Mountain Lodge Style
You love nature! And really, how could you not? The more exposed wood (be it in log form or paneling) the better. And having natural stone in your home is a must! Especially at the fireplace, but stone top tables work too. If you could clad all the furniture in wood and stone you would, but splinters aren't fun and stone is cold! So when you need a place to sit (or recline in!), it should be comfortable and warm. Bigger is better when it comes to your favorite chair for watching TV or reading the newspaper. Leather is great (go natural!) (side note from me: for a girl that tries not to eat red meat, leather real leather probably isn't going to happen...), but soft fabrics in warm tones also suit you well.


Update: I just took the quiz again and got a different breakdown, this time consisting of traditional country (say what?), rustic revival, and cottage chic.  I think this time I said don't like and like more than just okay, and different rooms came up, which probably explains the difference.  To look at pretty (and in my rustic revival and vintage modern opinion, some not so pretty), take the quiz here!

All pictures courtesy of Sproost

No comments:

Post a Comment