Friday, October 22, 2010

black bean patties!

Kristen (who from here on out will be referred to as KK) sent me this recipe for "clean" black bean patties back in September when I was finally serious about not only working out regularly, but actually eating better too.  I loved the idea of it, but set it aside.  Well, after a recent setback of not working out for a week and a half and not eating so well, I figured it was high time to whip these babies up.  One other contributing factor: since the fridge in our house hasn't been working so well and things keep going spoiling, I thought these would be perfect because they can't really go bad in just a couple days!


They turned out great!  And at only 178 calories, 9g of fat, and 7g of protein, I will definitely be making these again.  I did learn a couple things though:

1)  The recipe calls for a carrot and I didn't buy any because I knew my roommate had carrots in the fridge.  Turns out he threw those carrots out the night before I went grocery shopping for these babies.  Womp womp.

2)  I learned that celery salt and celery leaves are not interchangeable in terms of how much flavor the 2 ingredients add.

3)  I didn't expect the patties to spread as much as the did, so next time I will build them up instead of building them out.  My roommate Jon seriously thought they were big yummy cookies when he first saw them.

4)  The recipe tells you to put parchment paper did, but I only had wax paper on hand so that's what I did.  Next time I'll remember to spray the paper with cooking spray because my patties stuck.  No biggie.

And just because I know KK would add this if she could:  don't worry that they look like cow patties, they taste great!

Check out the recipe from Tosca Rena's Eat Clean Cookbook!  PS: I've had them 3 times now and each time I've just eaten them sandwich-style with some light style soft wheat bead, but they could be dressed up lots of ways. Oh, and I split the recipe in half because it claims it makes 10 servings and considering I was the only person eating these (Will actually ran away from them when I was cooking), I thought 10 was just a little overkill.

No comments:

Post a Comment