Saturday, January 1, 2011

a dog named ginger

For those of you that don't know, I had a dog named Sandie for almost 15 years.  When I was in 2nd grade, I spent the night at a friend's house.  Since my friend's aunt worked at the humane society, we of course went by there - something that my dad still can't get over.  "Who takes 8 year olds to see all those dogs?! Of course they're going to fall in love with one!"  And I totally did fall in love with this little chub-a-lub of a puppy.


Rather than break my poor 8 year old heart, I found her waiting for me in our laundry room when I came home from gymnastics practice three nights later.  She lived a long and happy life and had to be put down just 2 days before her 15th birthday this past January.


We miss her dearly.  However, right after Thanksgiving, a new dog moved into our house.  Let me introduce you to Ginger.


She is part border collie, part golden receiver, full sweatheart and is 4 and a half years old.  She's just a love who constantly wants you to pet her.  As far as we know, we are her 3rd family, and there's really no telling how many she had beyond that.  In the first month that my family had her, neither my mom or dad ever saw her play with a toy or play at all really - no matter how many times my dad tried to get her to chase him.  However, all 3 of us witnessed her charging at both a ball and a snowman she got for Christmas (and as soon as she knew that we saw her, she quickly dropped said toy and came over wanting to be pet), so I think Ginger is finally starting to feel like this is her home.

Ginger is most definitely my dad's dog.  She loves my mom too (especially since my mom gives her the treats), but Ginger hardly leaves my dad's side.  Since he took time off around Christmas, he's been taking her to dog part at least once, and often twice, a day.  He takes her on tons of car rides - whether he's going to my Mema's, to a work site, or even just to the store for a quick minute, she rides along.  And she loves cuddling up beside him to get her belly rubbed.

She also sleeps on her back (and I had never seen a full-grown dog do this), always tries to get her paw or chin on you someway or another, and occasionally decides she doesn't like the backseat of the car and brings her 70 lb self up to the passenger seat - even if there is a passenger (aka me) sitting there.



I hated saying goodbye to this sweet girl, but I'm so glad my parents found another dog that fits right into our household.  Just look at that face.

1 comment:

  1. Ginger looks like such a cutie! You guys are awesome for adopting her :)

    ReplyDelete