Friday, November 12, 2010

2 for 2: open-faced turkey patty melt

On Wednesday I was busy in the kitchen again preparing dinner for Tom and me.  It’s unfortunate that Tom sometimes doesn’t get home from work/working out until after 9, but I like having the excuse of cooking for someone else and he likes having a home-cooked meal (I think) so this situation is actually quite ideal!

So yes, KK sent me this recipe from Cooking Light last month.  I had to wait until I had a working fridge to try her out though.  Results: successful dinner in no time at all!*

Picture from Cooking Light

*Full disclaimer time: it took me way longer than 5 minutes to cook those pretty little onions on top because apparently some of the burners on the new stove aren’t as powerful as others.  I didn’t realize this until the end of cooking though when I switched to a different burner to make the last turkey patty (5 in one pan was overkill) and that burner just roared to life.  Plus I’m still not all that accustomed to cooking with gas so getting “medium heat” can sometimes be a little tricky.  But that’s not the recipe’s fault, that’s the silly burners fault. 

Other notes about this recipe:
- I used light style wheat bread instead of rye because I just don’t like rye

- Don’t pile on the mustard – Tom did this and then slightly regretted it when he realized it has a nice little kick in it

- I bought a package of Jenny O ground turkey breast that was 1.3 pounds, so I made 5 patties instead of 4 (and just added a little extra of the other ingredients to hopefully account for the extra meat)

- Next time I might try buying a better quality Swiss, just to fancy it up

To sum it up: pretty healthy but doesn’t skimp on the flavor, easy to cook, and nice for a re-heated lunch.  It’s a keeper!  Thanks KK.

Click here for the yumminess!

Next up: Eggplant Parmesan

No comments:

Post a Comment