Tuesday, November 9, 2010

1 for 1: swiss enchiladas

So Will has been out of town since Sunday and will be coming home on Friday.  I'm taking advantage of this time to cook some pretty snazzy dinners for our roommate Tom and I since it's so much easier to cook for 2 people instead of 1 (leftovers get eaten so much faster!) and Tom claims to eat anything and everything.  Yayyyy Tom!

Dinner #1: Swiss Enchiladas!

I found this recipe on surprise surprise Cooking Light.  It was from the reader-recipe-makeover bit.  A lady wrote in about her yummy yummy enchiladas that had lots of whole milk and heavy cream.  GAG.  But luckily Cooking Light took over and with some whole wheat tortillas and 2% milk with a little flour to replace that heavy cream sauce they trimmed those babies down into a more than acceptable meal.  And because of those things they were able to leave all the glorious Swiss cheese in there, which was a big selling point for me since I consider cheese to be my favorite food.  Yes, I really do.

Here's a picture of the Cooking Light version:


And here's a picture of my version:


In my opinion, they don't look half bad!  Next time I'll just make sure to buy a prettier baking dish of course and invest in a broiler (or learn what a broiler is...).

And now for what I really cared about: what Tom thought.  When he walked in the door I excitedly told him they were ready and he told me how good it smelled in the kitchen.  Yessss.  He scooped one of these babies out and devoured it so he quickly followed it with another.  Actions speak louder than words, but his words were pretty powerful too: "These are so good!"  After we discussed that it wasn't actually that bad for you (aka I wouldn't recommend eating one of these every night, but one of these and a spinach side salad was perfect for me), he cleaned up all the dishes and praised my cooking skills.  Aww shucks.

I highly recommend you check out the recipe!  It is most definitely going in my recipe box.

Notes:
- I added cumin and paprika when cooking the onions and then added more cumin and garlic powder when everything was simmering. Next time I'll probably add yet another tbsp of cumin just because I like me some spiciness and that's the only thing these guys are lacking

- I ended up making 7 instead of 6 because there was enough filling to do so

- I used a rotisserie chicken I bought at the store since I definitely didn't want to roast a chicken on my own (ha) and it would be a tastier than just plain baked chicken

- The sauce (the milk and flour) was only supposed to take 5 minutes to thicken, but when mine hit the 12 minute mark and looked like milk with flour floating in it, I turned the heat up and stirred every 20 - 30 seconds or so instead of continuously.  In 3 short minutes I had a sauce!

Up next on the menu: Open-faced Turkey Patty Melt.  Ten points to anyone who can guess who gave me the recipe and where she found it.

No comments:

Post a Comment