Saturday, December 11, 2010

christmas time is here

A few weeks before Christmas Will and I were at Wal-Mart (unfortunately) and I told him I don't like decorating for Christmas.  By the look he gave me, I wouldn't have been 100% surprised if he broke up with me on the spot.  He looked heartbroken.  Then I told him that what I don't like is having to unpack things, pack up normal decor things, put Christmas stuff out, and then in 3 and a half weeks pack it all up again only to have to get your normal stuff out again.  I partially blame my mom for this feeling because she too feels this way and has left more and more holiday decorations in the attic each year.  In her defense, we have some very crafty family members so each year my mom was given more and more decorations and the amount she accumulated is pretty overwhelming.

Anyhoo, surprise of all surprises, when Will and I got back from Thanksgiving I couldn't wait to break into my Christmas box.  I'm pretty sure I was excited because it meant that our plain we're-only-living-here-for-3-months-so-why-bother-decorating apartment was going to look a little more home-y.  So, here's what I managed to do with an Italian styled apartment, no mantle, and little money:

The book case


Some of these vases were out already, but I went to Michael's and picked up some fake flowers to add some holiday color and picked up the Christmas candle from Target.  Coolest thing about the candle: it has a wooden wick so when it burns you can hear it crackle.  The first time I lit the candle all I could think was "Chestnuts roasting over an open fire."

The coffee table


I didn't do much here partly because I never got around to doing this pop-up book art Christmas scene that Kara Paslay shared on her blog and partly because I just didn't want much on the coffee table.  So it's simple, but I do love that gold glitter candle.  Oh, and in my defense, at one time the other votive (that is now on the bookcase) was also on the table and there was another white candle exactly like the one above, but it found it's way to the trash can because it now looks like this:


The "mantle"


Cheap-o stockings from Target with glitter paint yessss.  Classy.  Oh and Tom's medals he's won in races he's done because those are always out and I wasn't going to be mean and take them down. This was about all I could do because our mantle actually consists of 5 spaced out, protruding stones:


Cool huh?

The fire place


Next year I definitely want a life-size real tree, but I do have a special fondness for baby tree.  It's sitting on a bar stool that I wrapped in a paper table cloth from Target.  Oh, and only 4 of these presents are for Will and I (the rest are for our parents!). My NC Christmas ornament found a new home with my UNC snow man that my mom sent me last year on the fire place gate.

The kitchen doorway


Another thing I took from my mom: taping up Christmas cards on the doors (or in my case, marble walls).  Most of these are for last year, but I'll be adding this year's as they come.  Cards are the best.

The dinner table


And finally, the table cloth, plate, santa mug, and napkins that my mom gave me last year.  Please ignore my almost bad bananas - those are going in a smoothie tomorrow morning - and my veggie and coozie bowls (and don't worry, that weird pumpkin bowl that's holding the coozies does not belong to me).  Oh, and that plate should have cookies on it, but I postponed baking until tomorrow.

So maybe it's pieced together and a bit cheap, but I'm okay with that this year.  Besides, nothing will ever top this:


This picture is actually missing 2 stockings because I took this on July 27 (yes, it stayed up that long because we loved it that much) and they had already moved out.  Sorry Beth and Kelsey!

PS: I just compared my current stocking with this stocking and realized that the next time I break out the glitter pens, I need to get a little more creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment