Monday, November 29, 2010

southern holiday

I missed out on the annual “What I’m thankful for” post because of a) non-working internet at the apartment last week and b) spending Wed – Sun in South Carolina/Georgia and not taking my computer along for the ride (which I did on purpose).  But to sum it up real quick, I’m incredibly thankful for my parents and family, Will, and my friends.  There are of course other things, but they aren’t nearly as important as the people previously mentioned.


Having been to Will’s mom’s-side-of-the-family Thanksgiving before, I had an idea of how good the food would be.  But this year they outdid themselves - not just on Thanksgiving, but all week long.  Plus being in the south (yay!!) I got some good ol’ fast food that the silly north doesn’t have available.  They have no idea what they’re missing. 

Here’s a rundown of the incredible edible food that made up the past five days:

-  McDonald’s breakfast: okay, this is in CT too, but those bacon egg and cheese biscuits are just so good.

- Zaxby’s: chicken fingers, texas toast, crinkle fries, and yummy dip.  There’s a good chance that if Will ever had tp pick a last meal, this would be it.

- Fried shrimp, boiled shrimp, fried cod, grilled cod, French fries, and broccoli: Wednesday night dinner.  All so darn good.  The best food of the night though: grilled chicken wings.  By far, the best wings I’ve ever tasted, and seeing as how one of Will’s major food groups is wings, I’ve tasted quite a few.  All food cooked by Uncle Rich. However, following the McDonald’s and Zaxby’s, I’ll admit the fried food overload almost did me in.

- Thanksgiving dinner: deep fried turkey, oven roasted turkey, broccoli, cheese, and slivered almonds, mashed potatoes, cornbread stuffing, squash casserole, and bread: and that’s only what was on my plate – I left out the other stuffing, corn, sweet potato casserole, ham, and collards.  Smorgasbord is the only word that seems to describe it all.

- Chocolate cake with Kahlua and crème de cacao, pumpkin pie, and chocolate pie: enough said.

- Fresh-from-the-sea boiled oysters: I sat outside with the uncles to eat them and even shucked them myself.  I’m pretty sure I gained some cool points for doing this.

- Bojangles: mainly because I dream about that cajun chicken filet biscuit with cheese all day long.  Unfortunately it wasn’t the best Bojangles I’ve ever been to, but it will tide me over until December 23.

If only I could have had a doggie bag on the plane.  And if only I had realized before Saturday that although I was positive I had forgotten my camera, it was sitting there in my carry-on bag.

Of course there was more than food that made up the week: there were lots of rambunctious kiddies, a 2.2 pound toy Chihuahua puppy, 78 degree weather, a thrilling Auburn – Alabama game that resulted in Will’s mom doing the best victory dance ever, lots of corn hole and football – both on TV and in the backyard, and an all around great time. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving as well!

PS: think the 4.5 miles Will and I ran/walked on Thursday morning did any good considering all this?  Me neither.

No comments:

Post a Comment